Some diehard Dallas Cowboys fans would say the biggest rival in the NFC East are the Washington Redskins. That argument can be made thinking back to the old Tom Landry - George Allen fueds of the 70's. Cowboy and Indians. What could be better rivals than that?
But I beg to differ. I say the "dreaded and feared" Eagles are the Cowboys top rival in the NFC East. Eagles fans are proud and arrogant. Just look at some of the threads started by Eagles fans, ie "All Cowboys Fans are Frauds". That'll get the punches rolling between fans of the two teams. Cowboys fans, who will fight to the finish to defend their team, have threads like "What's it like to be an Eagles Fan"?
Here are a few delicious trips down memory lane tht helped fuel the Cowboys/Eagels rivalry history:
- The 1980 NFC Championship game. It was a hard pill to swallow for Cowboys fans and even though the Cowboys went to 3 straight NFC Championship games and lost, this was the hardest to take.
- In 1987 Tom Landry plays vets Tony Dorsett and Randy White against the Eagles replacement team saying he just "played the hand he was dealt." A few weeks later, Randall Cunningham fakes taking a knee and throws the winning TD. Buddy Ryan says "hey, I just played the hand I was dealt."
- The "Bounty Bowl" game in 1989. Jimmy Johnson accuses Buddy Ryan of offering bounties to take out Cowboys players.
- During the 1992 season the Eagles kill the Cowboys 31 -7 in the 1st game. Eagles are smitten but the Cowboys win the next game, beat the Eagles in the playoffs and win the Superbowl.
- The "No ! Barry No!" game when Barry Switzer went for it on 4th and 1. The Cowboys lost the game but did win the Superbowl that year.
- Monday Night, Sept. 1997 game when the Eagles snapper couldn't get the ball down for Chris Boniol to kick the winning field goal with 4 seconds left. Eagles lost a game they should have won.
- Who can forget how Eagles fans cheered and jeered as Michael Irvin lay motionless and helpless in Veteran Stadium during the 1999 season?
- The infamous "pickle juice" game on when the Eagles obliterated the Cowboys in the heat in Texas Stadium during the 2000 season.
The Cowboys and Eagles have played 97 games in 48 years. The Cowboys lead the series 54 - 43. I'm sure there will be many, many more games that will forever seal the Cowboys/Eagles as one of the greatest rivalries of all time.